RØDE NT1-A Cardioid Condenser Microphone
- Large 1” capsule with gold plated diaphragm
- Cardioid polar pattern
- Ultra low noise, self noise of only 5dB, transformerless surface mount circuitry
- Wide dynamic range
- Frequency Range: 20Hz – 20kHz
- Maximum SPL: 137dB SPL
- Output Impedance: 100 ohms
- Gold plated output contacts
- True condenser (externally biased)
- Internal capsule shock mounting
- Requires 48 V Phantom Power
- Includes RØDE SM6 shock mount, pop filter and dust cover
Despite its low cost, the NT1-A large diaphragm 1” cardioid condenser microphone from RØDE is truly a do-it-all home studio multitool that has been known to rival some higher-priced, heavily sought-after microphones. Since its release in 2003 the RØDE NT1-A is a longstanding fan favourite of home and project studio musicians.
With a self-noise level of only 5dBA it is widely recognized as one the world’s quietest studio microphones, making it an excellent choice for recording literally anything and everything. Its transformerless output electronics result in quiet noise-free output while maintaining maximum signal gain. So whether you’re recording vocals, overheads, or a screaming guitar cabinet, its maximum 137 SPL prevents overloads no matter how loud the signal.
The gold-sputtered 1″ diaphragm provides an impressively wide frequency response of 20Hz-20kHz. This response is quite flat compared to most large-diaphragm microphones, having a rather broad and less pronounced presence peak at around 12kHz and a subtle low-end lift at around 120Hz. Overall this sounds complimentary and natural sounding no matter what the sound source. This is warmth and clarity in a single cost-effective solution.
Through there are no pad or low-cut switches on the body, its quiet signal-to-noise ratio of 88dB really make the extra addition rather pointless and nothing to fret over, especially given its competitive cost.
What’s more is the RØDE NT1-A looks great and feels durable. A tough yet sleek looking stainless-steel grill protects the capsule, with a finer second layer underneath to reduce popping and to help protect the capsule from contamination and RF interference.
As an added bonus for singers, it ships with a studio-grade pop shield and a sturdy shock mount to remove all pops and sibilance from the vocalist and any low rumbling from passing vehicles or footsteps.
As mentioned, the RØDE NT1-A is a home studio musicians favourite multitool. It serves so well recording everything from vocals, guitars, percussion, to pianos. The price-to-performance of this versatile condenser microphone make a convincing case for anyone who’s looking for serve justice to a great performance.
- Best Studio Headphones For Music Production | The Ultimate Guide
- Best Mic Preamps for Home Studios | The Ultimate Guide
- Best Audio Interfaces | The Ultimate Guide
- The Best Microphones For Recording Vocals
- The Best USB Microphones
- The Top 10 Best Home Studio Monitors
- Best MIDI Keyboard Controllers | The Ultimate Guide
- 31 Best Websites For Finding Creative Freelancing Jobs
- iPhone Filmmaking 101: Best Microphones, Lenses, Tripods, Stabilizers & More