Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Dynamic Microphone Review
- Type: Dynamic
- Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz/48 kHz
- Resolution: 16-bit
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Response: 50 – 15,000Hz
- Dimensions: 183.0 mm (7.20″) long, 51.0 mm (2.01″) maximum body diameter
- USB and XLR outputs with impressive quality from both.
- Good frequency response for vocal applications.
- Easy to Use
- No microphone gain control, only headphone volume.
- Requires being close to the mic.
A fan favourite that offers plenty of versatility and quality at a competitive price is the Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB. A durable, dynamic microphone that’s bright in character, the ATR2100-USB is the perfect choice for podcasters and those who’s primary use is for recording vocal.
What sets this mic apart from it’s competitors is that it also includes and XLR connection at the bottom meaning you can also use it in a live situation and it is not restricted as microphone for computer.
The XLR connection allows you to connect to a venues sound system or to an audio interface for analog recordings, both of which sound great from the ATR2100-USB.
As a cardioid microphone, users will find this microphone the best choice for recording situations with a focused sound source; typically one speaker voice applications with no interference from the environment.
One aspect of the ATR2100-USB that either serves as a bonus or detriment (in majority of cases a bonus) is that it’s frequency response is between 50 – 15,000 Hz. That means that very low frequencies below 50Hz (often lower than the human voice is capable of) are not picked up.
This can save plenty of time trying to clean up audio that his picked up rumbling background noises that can really ruin a recording. This also means, however, that the uses of the ATR2100-USB may be restricted to instruments that sit higher up in frequency.
Apart from the USB and XLR inputs, the bottom of the microphone features a volume control and a low latency headphone input. The side of the microphone has a simple on off switch with a bright blue LED light indicating when it is turned on. So the features are very simple and straightforward requiring zero learning curve; simply plug ’n play into any recording device without the need for drivers or tech jargon.
Included with the Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB is a 10’ XLR cable and a mini tripod stand suitable for desktop use. As a longtime bestseller, this microphone is found in plenty of home audio and live performance situations with consistently high customer satisfaction. Check out the low price and just maybe it will be driving your next podcast, webinar or public speaking gig.
- Best Studio Headphones For Music Production | The Ultimate Guide
- Best Mic Preamps for Home Studios | The Ultimate Guide
- Best Audio Interfaces | The Ultimate Guide
- The Best Microphones For Recording Vocals
- The Best USB Microphones
- The Top 10 Best Home Studio Monitors
- Best MIDI Keyboard Controllers | The Ultimate Guide
- 31 Best Websites For Finding Creative Freelancing Jobs
- iPhone Filmmaking 101: Best Microphones, Lenses, Tripods, Stabilizers & More